Dear ep1 Red parents and guardians,
Next week the ep1 children here at Varee Chiangmai School will start to learn about shapes in Maths.
Today the children had an introductory lesson on shapes by using tangrams to create various animals.
A tangram is essentially a puzzle consisting of 7 shapes.
These shapes can then be used to create a multitude of animals and objects.
(PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGES TO MAKE THEM LARGER)
1. Firstly the children were given a tangram template to colour in.
2. They then cut out the 7 shapes a tangram consists of.
3. The children watched various mini videos on how to create different animals and composed them using the mini-whiteboards as a ‘canvas’.
4. The children then chose one animal they liked and stuck them onto their worksheets.
5. Finally the children wrote simple informative sentences about their animals relating to whether it was a mammal or a bird.
This is an example of integrated learning in the classroom.
The children are applying what they learned in Science (mammals and birds) and indeed Health (body parts) last term, to enhance their learning in an entirely different subject this term. In this case Mathematics.
Thank you…teacher Chaz.